December 11, 2008

Christmas Tree Themes


When it comes to decorating Christmas trees, I love trees that have a theme. We decorate 2 Christmas trees in our house. One is in the formal living room and is decorated in burgundy and gold ornaments. The other is a smaller tree in the family room, and it has colored lights and all of the "fun" homemade ornaments that my daughter's made as well as ornaments we've bought on vacations or special times in our lives. My daughter also has a pink miniature tree in her room that was originally covered in Disney Princess ornaments.


There are an endless number of themes that you can design your tree around and you can find great sales on ornaments right after Christmas. You could do a color combination or fun themes such as Santa's Workshop, Victorian, Tropical, Country, etc...


Here are some pictures of some gorgeous trees that have a theme:

This one is so sweet-it's a Baby's First Christmas tree.





This tree has a White Christmas theme.

Here is a beautiful, traditional tree decorated in red and gold with some Victorian carolers at the base.

Here is a cozy, homespun Christmas tree with plaid ribbon and natural elements like pine cones and birch bark hearts.


How does your family decorate your trees, do you have a theme or is it a mixture of all the ornaments you've collected over the years. I love those trees, too, they have a unique story to tell. I love seeing how other people decorate their trees, so if you have a picture of your tree on your blog, send me a link to your post and I'll add it here!
Go check out these Christmas trees!
  1. Zen Ventures
  2. Hernandez Family
  3. another Hernandez Family Christmas tree post
  4. Veronica Lee


11 comments:

MaricrisG said...

I normally don't use themes on my Christmas Tree decor- it's more like anything goes- but this year, I sorta have a theme because we bought matching ornaments last year w/c we decided to use this year. I actually posted a picture of our tree in my blog if you want to see it.

Insanitykim said...

My little tree for our little apartment does a great "Charlie Brown Tree" impression, trying to hold several ornaments my children have made/colored over the years, even the ones they colored before they could walk! My tree is also a cool "fiber optic" tree so I don't have to worry about lights...I just noticed it's not working. Hmmmm...what's going on?

Veronica Lee said...

AS condominium dwellers, all we could accomodate is a less than 3 ft "fiber optic" tree which doesn't even light up now 'cos we couldn't find the adapter for the tree.

Dee said...

My husband is not a fan of the two tree system, 2 years ago I started decorating two trees, like you, a formal tree mostly red and silver and gold in the living room and a multi colored tree full of the kids ornaments and fun stuff in the family room. This year he was adamant that one tree was enough. Mr. Bah Humbug.

Heidi said...

I LOVE theme trees! This year we have an all white tree. I have two stories about my tree in my blog (a little obsessed maybe).

http://hernandezfamilyescapades.blogspot.com/2008/11/oh-christmas-tree.html

and

http://hernandezfamilyescapades.blogspot.com/2008/12/it-sings.html

Veronica Lee said...

I've just posted some pictures of Christmas trees in Malaysian malls. Do check them out!

Anonymous said...

I love to decorate Christmas tree with cute ornaments.

Melinda said...

We usually have at least two trees in our house - one in the living room decorated in burgandy and gold and then one in the playroom decorated in all the boys' ornaments, some of their stuffed animals, etc. If it were up to me, we would have a tree in every room of the house; but the hubs kind of limits it to two : (

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous...I think we might go out an get a tree this weekend! Then I'll get back to you on how, if, we end up decorating it!!!

Knit Purl Gurl said...

We usually decorate our trim top to bottom primitives.. I also have several rusty jingle bell trees and some small prim table top trees. Sadly, this year we have no tree. We are in temp housing in a very teeny, cramped apartment and all of my Christmas stuff is in storage where I can't really get to it. No Christmas decorations this year. It doesn't even feel like Christmas. We're on a super-tight budget to boot since we still have a house back home for sale. The kiddos and I are making a tree out of scrapbook paper and decorating the apartment with what craft supplies I already have.

Anonymous said...

my tree is always in red and gold, i like your white tree, i think i'll change this time ;)